For story project one we had to make our first complete story. We started with brainstorming story ideas. We pitched them and got reviews on pitches. Then we took our favorite pitches and started refining them into stories. We created character sheets, beat boards, scripts, a storyboard, and then finally an animatic. When we were pitching stories, I had not yet had my morning coffee. I decided to do a story about a sad coffee cup that thought he could only be happy if he had his coffee.
This is my final animatic. Overall I am happy enough with how the project turned out. I don’t think it went that great, but I did learn quite a bit about what went wrong. I wanted to write a sad story. What I didn’t realize when writing the story is that sad stories need contrast. While watching sad movies later I realized that the sad moments are only really sad when it’s in contrast to the defeat of a happy moment. I did not know this going into this story, so I made a story that was instead just kind of down throughout. Without any real moments of “up” I didn’t have a lot of room to make an impactfully sad “down” moment. On the flipside, before I even started the animatic I knew the exact music I wanted to use. I wanted to use the main theme from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, my favorite movie. When I started editing I saw that many of the beats in my animatic lined up extremely well with the song, which was a happy surprise.
This was my final storyboard. I feel like it is apparent that I am not an artist. I struggled literally for hours trying to get the small amount of perspective that I have, I even asked an artist friend of mine for guidance. I wanted a side view of coffee mugs inside of a cabinet, and I think that you kind of get that. Aside from my terrible art abilities I am fairly happy with the result.
This is my Beat Board. I feel like I could have realized even from the beat board the lack of contrast in my story. I think the main reason I did not recognize that it was not going well was kind of an issue of sunk cost fallacy. I felt like I had already invested time into doing this story, when in reality it should have been majorly reworked or even just scrapped. However being a busy student it was hard to justify starting the project over from scratch.
This is my character posing Sheet. I feel like I did an okay with the character poses. The biggest issue is that there isn’t really a lot of poses for a character that’s just always sad. This kind of goes back to the core issue of the problem that I had with this project, which was just not having a great story arc to begin with.
This is a flipbook of my script. You can kind of see even here that I didn’t have an extremely strong story arc in mind. I wrote the script with my beatboard in mind, which is very apparent. While I am pretty unhappy with the final result of my script, and a lot of my work, I think the most important thing is that I learned from these mistakes.
Overall, I am pretty disappointed with my final result. It is kind of a flat story, which is flat at a very low level. However, this is college, and the point is to learn. While I feel that this project did not go great for me, at the very least I got to learn a lot of important lessons basically every step of the way. I would rather learn those lessons here than in an environment that is more demanding. So in that regard I would say that while my final result was unsuccessful, the assignment as a learning experience was extremely successful.