Tower Assignment

For this assignment we had to make a low poly tower for a mobile tower defense game. This meant that we had to make a fairly low poly tower. Due to the nature of a tower defense game normally being from a more top-down perspective, we were able to do some tricks here and there to save polygons. While actually doing the project I didn’t run into many problems. I decided to do a trebuche, which fit pretty comfortably within 600 poly count limit.

ss+(2017-03-19+at+05.30.31).png

However, after finishing the model I had several regrets. The first was that my model textures just came out too dark. I somehow forgot that with the lower poly mobile assets everything tends to be more saturated and cartoony looking, which tends to compliment the style.

ss+(2017-03-19+at+05.29.39).jpg

For my final unity version, I took all of my information and baked it down into my albedo map. I used my normal information, curvature information, AO map, and position map to add in detail. After I had all of the information I wanted baked in, I put those layers into a separate group and started texturing my model underneath that group. This let me change the base color and textures of my model without ever hurting the quality of my baked in faked detail.

allMaps.png

These are my final maps. Overall I was decently satisfied with my tower. If I had the chance to do the project again I would have definitely done something a bit more cartoony and exaggerated, which tends to be what looks good with these low poly tower defense games.

373 – Blacksmith Scene

For my game asset creation class I had to create a blacksmith scene. We were given concept art to begin with and a spec sheet of objects to create and polycounts to hit. The purpose of this assignment was to get introduced and comfortable with the process of baking. I am still learning how to bake, which is taking the detail of a highly detailed object and wrapping that detail around a optimized mesh, and have not figured out which process works best for me. Throughout most of the project I worked from low to high. This means I would create a low poly model, duplicate it, and then create a higher poly model out of this. I’m sure it’s apparent, but my my favorite object to work on was my sword.

sword1h_savagecobalt.jpg

I took the concept art from Wolrd of Wacraft, and decided to make one of my favorite swords from Wrath of the Lich King. The Savage Cobalt Slicer seemed like a sword that was both cool but also practical and approachable for this project. Below is my final product in Unity.ss+(2017-03-10+at+06.23.21).jpg

These are my textures in substance.ss+(2017-03-10+at+06.25.13).jpg

And finally this is my high poly and my low poly. My low poly model came in at 488 tris, but I pretty comforatably baked my 10k tri high poly sword into it. The biggest issue I faced was the hole in the sword. It was odd to create, both for the low poly (reasonable circle with working topology and low poly count) as well the high poly. The bake also gave me some trouble, just trying to get that better circle to bake in. However, I think it turned out good enough in the game engine.

ss+(2017-03-10+at+06.34.24).png

Overall, I’d say my scene turned out fine. I am more proud of some objects than others, but I think I have a much better idea on how to go about the modeling and baking process. I think what really made this project fun for me was putting in my own little bits of flair here and there. Adding a cool sword with my own little twist to it, and making Thors hammer for my blacksmith hammer really made me enjoy the project a lot more than if I had just done regular boring assets.

ss+(2017-03-10+at+06.22.20).jpg